Is it weird that I am doing this, yet I just learned about it five minutes ago? Nah? I didn’t think so.
Well, in Nashville it is still January 24th so I think I’m obligated to mention that today is my birthday! Yayyyyy. I’m celebrating with close friends and family in Gatlinburg, Tennessee! Can’t wait to be home, though. So difficult writing posts and replying to emails on a laptop! Even if it is a macbook.
Anyway, we can get on to the actual Liebster Award.
I was nominated by my lovely friend over at smileybooklover! Basically, the Liebster Award, from what I can tell, is a way for other bloggers and readers to check out new blogs and find new friends to connect with. Sounds like fun, right?
- Acknowledge the blog that nominated you and display the award.
- Answer 11 questions that said blog gives you.
- Give 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5-11 blogs you think are deserving of the award.
- Let the blogs know you have nominated them.
- Give them 11 questions to answer.
My answers to smileybooklover’s questions:
1. How do you explore new blogs usually?
I peruse Goodreads for reviewers that have read books that I’d be interested in or have already read, have good, opinionated reviews, and also (obviously) have their own blogs.
2. What are the factors that affect you when you rate a book?
Oh gosh, there are so many! Probably character development is the top one. If the character is poorly developed, corny, or one I’ve seen all-too often, I’m generally not going to enjoy the book. Writing style is a close second, with use of strong language and explicit scenes coming in at third.
3. Which heroine do you admire the most and want to become like her? Why?
Whoa, I’ve got to narrow it down to only one? Maybe Cress from the Lunar Chronicles. She just has such an innocence and a willingness to serve and a want to be loved!
4. Where do you like to read? Please describe the surrounding/atmosphere.
I have this little, cozy, fuzzy, brown chair in my room that I’ll curl up in and read. With all the doors closed, it’s like my own personal nook!
5. When did you become a book lover?
I don’t know the exact age, but we had an Australian family living with us for six months when I was younger, and they had a daughter about my age named Ashlee. She’s actually the girl I dedicated my first novel to. She showed me the Clockwork Angel, a book that is still to this day one of my top favorites.
6. How often do you go to a bookstore? Or shop in the online one?
I shop online pretty much daily, and the bookstore is a fairly regular place of interest for me.
7. What makes you want to buy a book?
Covers. I’m a total cover whore. But if it’s not an interesting synopsis, I’m probably not going to get it, even if the cover is homicidal.
8. Which do you prefer, paperbacks, hardcovers, or e-books?
Normally I’d say “Hardbacks! Doesn’t everyone?” but at the moment, I’m enjoying the comfort of eBooks much more!
9. Do you like receiving a free copy of a new book in exchange for an honest review?
Not to be rude or anything, but who doesn’t?
10. Which book will you bring with you if it’s the end of the world?
Is it too Christian-y of me to say the Bible? If so, then I’d probably bring Article 5. It’s not a very popular book but I could read it over and over and over and never get bored of it!
11. Recommend a series/book to everyone.
The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. It’s the series that got me started.
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I own 9 horses, and my favorite is Blaze.
- I despise celery.
- I’ve yet to see or meet anyone that looks anything like me, to my great disappointment.
- Possibly my favorite movie is Book of Eli.
- I’m starring in my first big movie this year.
- I secretly enjoy playing the video game, Halo.
- I’d rather die of hypothermia than heat stroke (is that morbid?)
- I’m a total workaholic.
- I love that I’m a total workaholic, since my work is acting/modeling/writing/blogging.
- I have two younger brothers, and neither of them go by their real names.
- My first name is Victoria, but shhhhhh! I don’t tell a lot of people that;)
Bloggers I Nominate:
11 Questions for Said Bloggers:
- What determines your rating of a book?
- What is your favorite genre?
- At what time of day do you normally read?
- What advice would you give writers to increase their chances of a great review on your site?
- What made you start blogging?
- What made you start reading?
- What is your least favorite book and why?
- How long have you been blogging?
- If you were president of the United States, what would be your first order of business?
- Let’s get interview-y. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
- What’s your ultimate goal for your blog?
Well, guys, that’s all the time I’ve got for today! In fact, I stopped working on my college paper to write this post! Better bail before I go down with the ship ;P
What’s on your bookshelf?